The Bishop's School
The information in this column was provided to MinistryWatch by the ministry itself. It was last updated 9/13/2021. To update the information in this column, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bishop's School in La Jolla, California is an independent, coeducational college-preparatory day school for 800 students in grades six through twelve who live throughout San Diego County. Founded in 1909, the School is affiliated with the Episcopal Church.
The Bishop's School
7607 La Jolla Boulevard
La Jolla, CA 92037
CEO/President: Ron Kim
Chairman: Rt. Rev Susan Brown Snook
Board size: 32
Founder: The Right Reverend Joseph Horsfall Johnson
Ruling year: 1971
Tax deductible: Yes
Fiscal year end: 07/31
Member of ECFA: No
Member of ECFA since:
Our vision is the pursuit of the question: How do our students learn and grow best? Everything we do must return to this fundamental question.
Bishop's is an Episcopal school that nurtures students of intellect and character to think independently, learn collaboratively, grow their sense of self and act with greater purpose.
Statement of faith
Financial efficiency ratings
Sector: K-12 Schools/Academies
This ministry has not been rated.
Financial ratios for this ministry have not been calculated.
Financials for this ministry have not been collected.
Compensation data for this ministry has not been collected.
No response has been provided by this ministry.
The information below was provided to MinistryWatch by the ministry itself. It was last updated 9/13/2021. To update the information below, please email: email@example.com
Founded in 1909 as a girls' boarding school affiliated with the Episcopal Church, the School's original focus was to prepare young women for education at "the best Eastern colleges." As a coeducational independent day school, Bishop's continues to provide students a comprehensive education that inspires passion and curiosity. HISTORICAL HIGHLIGHTS:
The Right Reverend Joseph Horsfall Johnson, Bishop of Los Angeles, founded The Bishop's School. A day school opened in Bankers Hill while a boarding school was planned for La Jolla. Money and land for La Jolla campus donated by founders Ellen Browning Scripps and Eliza Virginia Scripps.
The first graduating class received diplomas. Scripps Hall, designed by Irving Gill, dedicated.
Bentham Hall, designed by Irving Gill, dedicated.
The Bishop's School's first athletic teams were founded: "Harvard" and "Yale."
Gilman Hall, designed by Irving Gill, completed. St. Mary's Chapel, designed by Carleton Monroe Winslow, dedicated.
Names of sports teams changed to "Purple" and "Gold" to honor Ellen Browning Scripps' alma mater, Knox College.
The first student council was formed. A graduating senior was awarded the Loyalty Cup for exemplifying the motto of the School: Simplicity, Serenity, Sincerity.
The School was enclosed by a wall to provide privacy and safety from traffic.
Second floor added to Bentham Hall. Bishop Johnson Tower added to St. Mary's Chapel.
1932 The first school newspaper, The Junior Journal, began. It was later named Sahatika (1944-74) and The Tower (1978-present).
Architect Carleton Monroe Winslow designed the Wheeler J. Bailey building.
The School joined the California Association of Independent Schools.
The first T-Day mascots appeared: the Purple Monkey and the Golden Bear.
The School's Cum Laude Society chapter was established.
The Bishop's School celebrates its 50th anniversary. Architect John Robert Mosher and Roy Morse Drew designed Cummins Hall.
Ellen Browning Scripps Hall, designed by Mosher & Drew, was completed.
The Bishop's School merged with San Miguel School for Boys.
Summer school held for the first time.
Board of Trustees announced the decision to close the boarding program at the end of 1982-1983.
T-Day held for the last time. The Eva May Fleet Athletic Center, the Rutherford Science Wing and the Manchester Tennis Center dedicated. Cummins Hall converted into classrooms.
The Bishop's School celebrated its 75th anniversary.
The Parents' Association held the first annual auction.
The Taylor Performing Arts Center dedicated.
The Emily Fenton Hunte Black '28 Computer Center dedicated.
The Alex G. Spanos Athletic Field at Kate Session Elementary School dedicated.
McCain Family Aquatic Center and Buddy & Barbara Murfey Memorial Pool dedicated.
Parking garage and athletic fields constructed.
The Wall Street Journal selects The Bishop's School as one of the top 40 high schools in the country to send students to selective colleges.
Science center named Michael & Marlene Teitelman Science Center.
Manchester Library & Learning Center dedicated.
The yearlong renovation of Ellen Browning Scripps Hall was completed.
Ellen Browning Scripps: In addition to founding The Bishop's School and Scripps College, Ellen Browning Scripps (1836-1932) generously supported prominent institutions all across Southern California. Investments in the Scripps' chain of newspapers provided her with an independent fortune when she moved to La Jolla in 1896. She felt that The Bishop's School was "destined to be a grand institution" and therefore worth the investment. She wrote, "I feel more than assured that I have embarked in an undertaking that is almost limitless in its scope and power for good." In accordance with her wishes, no public record was kept of her gifts. The remainder of her estate was used to establish the Ellen Browning Scripps Foundation. We honor our founders annually at the EBS Celebration at The Bishop's School.
Bishop Joseph Horsfall Johnson: As the first Bishop of the new Episcopal Diocese in Los Angeles, Bishop Joseph Horsfall Johnson (1847-1928) spent his years making the Episcopal Church a stronger presence in the Southern California region. Bishop Johnson had a great love of children, and he believed fervently in the idea of educating their minds and spirits. In founding Bishop's, he saw one of his fondest dreams come to fruition.
Eliza Virginia Scripps: Eliza Virginia Scripps (1852-1921) was the spirited, red-haired half-sister of Ellen Browning Scripps. The more outspoken of the Scripps sisters, Miss Virginia was an independent-minded philanthropist, considered an eccentric by most. In 1910 the Bishop's Board of Trustees put her in charge of the grounds, which for years had no trees because she disliked the mess they made. She was an amateur naturalist, read broadly in science, and an ardent Episcopalian and helped Bishop Johnson establish St. James by-the-Sea Church.